strike two

September 25, 2014 at 12:45 pm 2 comments

when i first started researching 100 mile races, i quickly settled on bartram, a december race in georgia. right chance of cold weather. rumored great course. far enough from home. but close enough to friends. it seemed ideal. but as i waited for registration to open, i came to suspect it never would and sure enough a couple weeks after i caved and registered for a more local race, i got the email from the RD that due to a number of logistical issues they would not be holding bartram this year. given i don’t do change well, i was happy to have avoided the frustration and have settled on a race with a solid, though not long, four year history.

but yesterday i got a text from a fellow racer that our race had been cancelled! or “postponed” as the email from the RD eventually said. apparently the charity they back is dispersing last funds to a mission complete so the race needs to regroup and find a new cause. wonderful to know that a little town in haiti devastated by a 2010 earthquake has received enough aid and assistance for the charity to pull out but damn, i’m beginning to wonder if i’m jinxed and that the universe is trying to tell me that it’s not in my cards to run a hundred right now.

but if it is, then the universe can shove it because i’m not backing down so easy. i quickly honed in on another race. it’s not ideal. early february means a possible florida heat wave. last year’s temps that week hovering around 80. and a couple hour drive from home in the middle of nowhere florida means a hotel need and lack of easy viewing visits for my kid and potential pacers. and to top it off the race has a requirement that all hundred runners must have completed a 50 mile race this calendar year ~ which i have not ~ or have a solid history of running and conditioning.

but a quick email fired off to the RD with a few stats and stories yielded me the thumbs up to register. and dinner with the wingman left me assured he’ll pace regardless of the race. so now i just need the weather gods to cooperate. and really, given my last few not-so-hot weeks of running, a feb. 6 race buys me a few extra weeks of training. i truly believe everything happens for a reason so maybe this is the race i was always meant to run. but seriously, if this one gets “postponed” i’m calling three strikes and i’m out.



Entry filed under: running, ultra marathon. Tags: , , , , , , .

100 training: week 4 third 100 time’s a charm

2 Comments Add your own

  • 1. kitkat1126  |  September 30, 2014 at 2:40 pm

    I don’t believe three strikes you’re out. You KNOW you’ll be doing a 100 mile race in the next calendar year…as crazy as I think you are for doing it – I support you 100% and I plan to read all about your training and the race recap – so it’s happening! 🙂

  • 2. becelisa  |  October 1, 2014 at 9:06 am

    i know you’re right but i’ve been struggling mentally with things the past few weeks. i’m going to write an update in the next few days but i think it started with the tri i did for no other reason than it deviated me from my training plan. that followed by being out of town and then mini-me having cross country meets on saturdays. i’m having trouble juggling my life. but i’ll get my ass in gear. i always do 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts.

Join 150 other followers

the best of times

5k pr ~ 24:23
10k pr ~ 52:49
half marathon pr ~ 1:55:10
marathon pr ~ 4:10:41
half ironman pr ~ 5:57:50
50k pr ~ 5:33:23
50-mile pr ~ 11:32:39



%d bloggers like this: